Thursday 14 August 2014

Notes On What Might Be Called Propaganda? (pt.2)

(incomplete) First Thoughts On the Better Together Website:

The first thing you see when you enter the site is a short series of images that fade in and fade out which display links to different pages. The only notable image is of the  slightly menacing (to me) “No Thanks” logo. For some reason, the logo is sort of sinister (in a subtle way). Here it is:




The thing sort of reminds me of a dead face: 




Is it just me seeing this? (It might be) 

But if the decision I had to make on the 18th of September was based on logos alone, then I’d probably vote Yes. The word “YES” is a lot more motivational and creates more positive feelings within me than this badge which, for some reason, something about it just reminds me of death. (This isn’t me being pro-yes or anti-no, by the way; it’s merely me being pro-logos-that-don’t-remind-me-of-cartoon-corpses-or-the-inevitability-of-death).

Apart from the logo, the only thing I can really say about the website is that, frankly: it’s dull. The colour scheme, the font, the 15 ‘fact’ sheets (which I will write about in more detail in a later post), the tone of the writing - the whole thing. It’s very, very dull. I might have yawned around 34 times while reading it.

But the more I think about it, how could it really be any different? The No Campaign doesn't seem to be offering anything new (I might be wrong here and have a mind ready to be changed). They are essentially arguing for things to stay the same as they are because they think we have the “best of both worlds” if we stay in the UK. And so the campaign seems to lack the sense of excitement that the other side has (or at least the sense of excitement that the Yes campaign’s website feels you need to be constantly reminded of in the mini-essays with many of them saying how ‘exciting an opportunity this is’).

I will say however that the 'fact sheets' (although dull) have at least the initial appearance of providing information. As to the accuracy of the information that is provided, that's another issue altogether.
   
(slight digression) A WORRYING REALISATION:

I’m already beginning to get the sort of horrible feeling you get when you realise you have spent too long procrastinating before an exam and it’s now too late to study everything. 

The reality of it is is that trying to understand the details of issues like ‘The Economy’ is hard. Believe it or not, the economy is something that is actually complex, it is actually kind of mind-bogglingly complex, and, although the general issues surrounding the details are interesting, trying to understand all the particularities and intricacies of the economy can fill you with an overwhelming, crushing boredom. If I want to be remotely informed I’ll just need to deal with being bored. But I’m telling you, I really am fighting the temptation to just say: pfft, whatever, I’ll never understand this anyway, bye bye ‘fiscal policy’, see you later ‘tax rates’, I’M OFF!  

*

(image sources: 1) here and 2) here

No comments:

Post a Comment